Welcome to McMinnville Locally Grown’s Recipe Section. We’d love to have your comments if you try some of our recipes. Our members and growers are encouraged to contriubute to this section. We love to share recipes using our farm fresh products!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Fried Green Tomatoe BLT
Source: Taste of the South's Collector's Issue - Southern Favorites (Entered by Ann Brown)
Here’s a new twist on the classic BLT!
Serves: 4 sandwiches
Step by Step Instructions
- Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup flour, cornmeal, 1/2 tsp sal and 1/4 tsp pepper in another shallow dish.
- In a third shallow dish, whisk egg with buttermilk.
- In a 10 inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Evenly sprinkle each tomato slice with remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Dredge tomato slices in flour, then dip in buttermilk mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture. Fry tomatoes in batches until lightly browned and tender (3 to 4 minutes per side).
- To assemble sandwiches, evenly spread one side of each toasted bread slice with mayonnaise. Layer lettuce leaf, 3 slices bacon, and fried tomato. Top with remaining bread slice.
Comments added by fellow market members.